...just take care of it, otherwise your hair will look more like Britney's bad extensions than Heidi's hot highlights! Color, heat, and styling products all dry out your hair, so if you aren't careful, colored hair can end up looking dull and lifeless, but this can all be avoided!
1. KEEP UP WITH CUTS! Every 4-6 Weeks to eliminate split ends.
2. WASH HAIR SPARINGLY! 3 times per week at the max, and use a shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair. Even if you aren't washing, condition your hair every time you shower!
BROWN HAIR: BED HEAD Brunette Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner. With its sweet fragrance, this system smells good enough to eat, but don't. Leaves hair soft and manageable, with great shine due to its protein delivery system.
RED HAIR: JOHN FRIEDA Radiant Red Shampoo and Conditioner actually brightens red tones, and is also a great way to add red overtones to brown hair for that auburn effect - a great look for this fall!
$6 Each - Drugstores Nationwide
BLONDE HAIR: The trickiest of all hair colors. Blonde hair can go brassy, and it can go green. The best way to avoid this is to using a purple toning shampoo, which keeps blondes platinum. CLAIROL Shimmer Lights is a wonderful, affordable way to keep blonde bright.
$10 Each - Amazon.com
3. CONDITION IT! In addition to your daily conditioning treatment, you should use a deep conditioning treatment once a week and a hot oil treatment once a month to reduce damage to the cuticle caused by drying and styling. REDKEN Color Extend Rich Recovery is great for once a week, while VO5 Hot Oil Treatment is good for a monthly usage.
$15 - Redken Salons
$6 - Drugstores Nationwide
4. AVOID HEAT LIKE THE PLAGUE! Heat from blow drying, curling, and flat ironing causes breakage and damage to the cuticle. If you MUST blow dry, use an IONIC dryer, which dries hair 60% faster than a traditional blow dryer.
5. GLAZE IT! Using a leave-in glaze will lock in moisture and provide all day shine. FEKKAI Salon Glaze is AMAZING and nobody with colored hair should be without it!
$28 - Sephora Stores www.sephora.com
6. AVOID IT....chlorine and sun...which dry out colored hair.
7. REVIVE IT! Use a temporary color wash in between colorings to keep your color looking fresh. This will also save you money at the salon as well as saving your hair from heavy peroxide treatments!