Posted by STETSON CREATIVE Friday, October 1, 2010
There are five basic steps to creating a full, high-definition lip. Prime, Line, Fill, Contour, and Finish. YES, you can achieve that lip that everyone wants to kiss, but that nobody is allowed to!
1. PRIME. There are lip primers out there, but if you want to avoid buying another product you can just use any lip balm you like. Make sure you are applying a very small amount and allow it to soak into the lips for a few minutes. (I often like to do this and then move on to the rest of face.)
2. LINE. Lining the lips prevents bleeding and feathering, and gives the lip a nice finished look. Keep this shade about one shade darker than your lipstick color. Too much contrast can result in a clown-like lip. I recommend the DIOR RougeLiner Automatic because of its ease of use and creamy texture. If you have the time, fill in the entire lip for a longer lasting lipstick finish.
$28 - Sephora Stores www.sephora.com
3. FILL. Using a lip brush, apply lip color of your choice carefully over the lip, making sure not to extend past the edge of the lip liner. Its easier to work with a matte or semi-matte lipstick as they are more smudgeproof than other finishes. As previously noted,. the MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense is my favorite lip color on the market today!
4. CONTOUR. This is a step which is often skipped, and can really make the difference in creating that HD look. You can either use subtle technique or be very dramatic with your contours, depending on what kkind of effect you desire. Start with another lip color 2-3 shades darker than your lips color, and CAREFULLY with a lip brush apply the darker color towards the corners, lower edge and upper edge..blending into the main color. This will create an effect of fuller, more voluminous lips.
5. FINISH. For a finished look, coat the entire lip in a gloss of your choice. Less sticky lip gloss will stay put more effectively, and ones with shimmer will really pump up the volume. Remember, toss your lipstick and gloss in your hand bag for touch ups as needed!